Sunday, July 12, 2009
Unanswered Letters, Part 2
Here is a follow up to the first letter I sent (see previous post). Dated June 12, 2009. To date, this one has received no answer either.
Hi again,
A follow up -
I have been able to get downtown easily in the mornings for the festival. The problem I have been running into has been in returning home.
I finish my day at LP Field and need to grab the Shelby line back to MCC. From there I take the 8 back home. Yesterday, the Shelby bus never showed. I was at the stop on Woodland directly across from LP Field and the bus did not come. I noticed a sign that said the stop would no longer be in service effective 7/1/09. Someone else at the stop with me knew that there was another line coming through a block away, and we grabbed that one with barely enough time to make our transfers. Really, I had a stitch in my side from running to catch the 8 just exactly at 7:15. It would have been a pain to miss that bus, because I would have had to wait an hour for the next one. But at least there was another one, leaving at 8:15.
This morning, I called MTA to inquire about the Shelby route, and to find out why it had not come through. The woman on the phone (X, I believe) assured me that the bus was still coming that way. Maybe it was just late, she said. And again, the excuse about the CMA Music Festival. I felt frustrated because she was telling me a bus would be coming through that didn't appear to be actually coming through. But I decided to give it one more shot. What choice did I have?
Well, tonight the Shelby bus did not show once more. And this time, that meant I missed the LAST bus home. I had to walk all the way back to MCC and find a ride from there. This after nine hours of hard work in the heat carrying expensive and heavy camera gear. I didn't think I had the strength to walk all that way. But I was so angry, feeling utterly abandoned by our system, that I made the trip somehow running on pure adrenaline.
Thought maybe you'd like to know.
Thanks,
Karen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I have heard that one line is starting interactive maps at the stop to show where the bus is at that point in time. Not sure which lines though.
ReplyDelete