Sunday, July 12, 2009
Unanswered Letters. Part 1
For my first two months of trying the bus here in Nashville, I kept a journal. It was the same one I kept while traveling, and I found some comfort to continuing my journeys this way, even while being back home. Like I was still exploring my own town. Like I was still learning about this place, from a different perspective.
In my journal, I diligently kept track of every route taken, every problem encountered, every positive thing I saw. Eventually, On June 10, 2009, I compiled a letter out of all my notes, and sent it to someone I believed to be a good contact at the MTA. To date, I have not heard back.
Here is the letter I wrote (leaving off any specific names):
Dear X,
Hello again! I had compiled my notes and put together a list for you several weeks back, but somehow had not managed to sit down and write until just now. Today, I have a little extra motivation because I have been very very frustrated with the bus system this afternoon. I understand that the CMA Festival causes some disruption. However, I also know that the festival has been planned for two years, and I can't understand why it would cause this MUCH disruption! Seems like we could have worked around it better.
I waited for the #25 bus at Edgehill & 21st for 40 minutes today. It was 35 minutes late. As it happens, I didn't have any appointments and was just planning to work from home this afternoon, so this was only an inconvenience and not a big problem. However, I am working the festival from Thursday through Sunday as a photographer. I have been planning to ride the bus downtown, but at this point I am not even sure if I can count on it to get me there. Do I really need to plan to be there an hour early, just to make sure I get there on time? I find that difficult to take, since I already will be out in the sweltering heat all day every day, working.
Anyway, on to my list. Under normal circumstances, following are the main issues I've seen during these two months I've been riding the bus. In order of importance:
1 - We need maps at every single stop, for every single line that goes through that stop. Our system is highly un-user-friendly, and just this simple improvement could make a world of difference. Another thing that would help is having a trip planner on the web site that actually works!
2 - We need better coordination of transfer times from the Midtown route to those routes it connects to. The #25 is frequently late, and with tight transfer times, that means that I often miss my transfers and have to wait 20-45 minutes for the next bus. And what's more, we need more routes that connect routes! I can't for the life of me understand why there is no route that goes up Wedgewood or Woodmont, for instance.
3 - It seems exhorbitant to me that it costs $1.60 each time a person boards a bus. I live near 8th & Wedgewood, and often need to get to places on West End. For me to do this, I have to transfer twice. Which means that I have to pay $1.60 three times to get somewhere that is only 3 miles up the road. Way more than I would have to pay for gas.
4 - Bus marquees really should tell what the next stop is. Sometimes the voice that gives this information is inaudible or even non-existant. And I can't help but think how lost I'd be if I didn't understand English well, or didn't know the city. I have traveled to Europe twice, and would never have been able to get around in places where a foreign language was spoken without having the marquee to read (and match to what I see on the map).
5 - ALL stops should have a trash recepticle. More benches and shelters would be nice too. Come to think of it, what happened to our bench on 8th, in front of Subway, near Wedgewood? It was there one day and gone the next.
6 - The lack of sidewalks, around major roads especially, is dangerous.
7 - Why is there no line that goes to Brentwood?
8 - Sure wish some of these lines that run on weekdays only would also run on weekends. Here I am thinking especially of the Murfreesboro Relax & Ride, the Opry Mills Express, and Lebanon Road.
9 - Seems like we should be encouraging more businesses to open up near bus stops. A place where I can stop and grab a coffee or a sandwich or something to read would be nice when I have to wait 10 minutes for the next bus. Places to shop more extensively (for groceries, for clothes) would be great for longer waits.
10 - The West End route (#3) spends an awful lot of tme driving around a mall that is no longer open. Not very efficient.
11 - It would be nice if more credit cards were accepted at ticket sales.
On a positive note, I have to give kudos on the new MCC complex. I love it there! I'm actually thinking I may look for studio space near it, because it is so easy to get to and travel from. Plus, I love that there are recycle bins right next to trash cans there. Very progressive for this area.
I do intend to write to our councilmen as you suggested. What kinds of things are helpful for me to pass their way? Maybe they don't need to hear all my MTA-specific observations, or maybe they do? I'd appreciate your advice on this.
Thanks X.
All the best,
Karen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

They should definitely have maps at most every stop.
ReplyDeleteI've taken public transportation once since I've been in Nashville and had to drive to the closest bus stop. It takes a long time to get from point A to B. It's way more convenient to drive a car, but it should be convenient to also ride the bus.
A blog is such a great idea. I agree with all of the suggestions you listed here. The 37X does make it's way to the Holiday Inn park and ride at brentwood, but only twice per day and only, of course, on week days. There was another bus that made it to that same stop twice a day and wound its way through the crieve hall neighborhood, but it was cancelled when gas prices skyrocketed last summer.
ReplyDelete-Frankie
Some good - no great - comments here. Good thinking. Someone should be, I hope is, listening!
ReplyDeleteRobert