Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Man on Street with Harmonica

I am a little behind. Getting back in the blogging habit is a real challenge! These past couple of weeks, I've been riding my new bike and using the bus with it (and also driving a lot, out of need), and soon I shall write about these new adventures. However, today, I am reminded of something that happened on the streets many weeks ago.

It was the same day I worked the CMA Music Festival and barely caught a bus back to Music City Central, because the line I was waiting for never showed. I found out about the OTHER bus because a person at the stop knew about it. Otherwise I would have been stuck, and out of luck. The person who was my hero in this situation was Kenny B.

Kenny B is one of those seemingly-ageless people who most people probably wouldn't think was all that remarkable, on the outside. He's a middle-aged black man who rides the bus. What are the immediate judgments that most people would make about him, I ask you? Turns out that Kenny is a member of the funk group Super T, which he told me after a few minutes' conversation. He has played with his group at college campuses across the country, at two inaugural balls, and even at Jenna Bush's wedding.

I am in awe of this extraordinary man and the stories he is telling me (not yet too concerned about the bus we're both waiting on, which has not yet arrived), when a passer-by suddenly drops to his knees on the street, whips out his harmonica and starts serenading us. Kenny B swore to me that he'd never seen the man in his life! But somehow he seemed to attract the music, nonetheless. At least that's how it seemed to me.

Here is a photo of that man on the street, playing his unexpected serenade in the golden light of early evening. I wish I'd fired off a shot of Kenny B, too. When we parted, we were both running like mad for our respective buses. We didn't even say goodbye. But maybe I will see him again, one of these days. I like to think he is my friend.

I remember this today because apparently, Super T is going to be playing the next Frist Friday next week! Go here if you want more information, about the group or the event -
http://www.supertrevue.com/
http://www.fristcenter.org/site/calendar/eventdetail.aspx?cid=249

No comments:

Post a Comment